Our institute is dedicated to the research of disease patterns and therapy options in psyche-soma interactions. On the one hand, this includes the comprehensive teaching of classical psychosomatics where physical symptoms are investigated as being psychologically causative (somatoform diseases – physical symptoms that cannot be proven by somatic findings, such as idiopathic skin diseases or functional disorders).
Furthermore, we deal with the crucial area of psychological effects of physical diseases and possibilities of psychotherapeutic interventions. Our research and teaching activities focus on psychooncology, psychocardiology and the psychological perspective of transplant patients.
Heads: Univ. Prof. Dr. Jutta Fiegl / Assoz. Prof. Dr. Kathrin Mörtl, e-mail
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jutta Fiegl – Head, Psychooncology, Psychosomatics in Gynaecology and Obstetrics; Systemic Family Therapist
- Assoz.-Prof. Dr. Kathrin Mörtl – Head, Psychosomatic Concepts, Psychoanalysis
- Eva Pritz – Transplant, Head of SFU University Outpatient Clinic, Psychoanalysis
- Waltraud Wiesinger, BA – Congenital Heart Defects, Research Award, Systemic Family Therapist – Constituent Honorary Member
- Dr. Raphael Oberhuber – Paediatric Cardiology, Clinical Psychologist at the Children’s Heart Centre Linz
- Branka Milic – Congenital heart defects, psychoanalysis
- Birgitta Schiller, Mag.pth. – Psychosomatic concepts, individual psychology
- Manuel Fürholzer, BA – Rare diseases, individual psychology
Students of psychotherapy science have started a reading circle on psychosomatics, which we support.
Teaching & Training
Our staff members regularly teach in our study programme. A selection of courses in which you can learn about our research methods and projects:
– Forms of intervention in physical illnesses (in German and English): Univ. Prof. Dr. Fiegl, Assoz. Prof. Dr. Mörtl, Mag. Pritz, Dr. Oberhuber, Mag. Milic, Ms. Wiesinger, BA (constituent honorary member)
– Psychosomatics (in English): Assoz. Prof. Dr. Mörtl, firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervision of theses
Our staff members are happy to supervise theses in our research spectrum. There is also the possibility to cooperate with one of our staff members and to work on a given topic.
Selected Research Projects
- Stress on medical staff during the CoVid-19 pandemic
- Body anamnesis questionnaire. Implementation of a screening at the psychotherapeutic university outpatient clinic of Sigmund Freud University
- KörperLOS – A qualitative study on the role of the body in digital psychotherapeutic treatment
- Body Focus Groups – Psychosomatic attitudes and competence of health workers in training on the subject of body & mental health
- Tako-Tsubo Syndrome: stress-induced cardiomyopathy in Austria
Waltraud Wiesinger Research Promotion Award
- Poster Presentation 2023: „Zähne & Psyche“
- Poster Presentation 2022: “Schlaf”
- Nachwuchsforschung – Poster Presentation WS 2020/21
- Winners of the Waltraud Wiesinger Research Promotion Award 2016-2019
- The idea behind the award: Waltraud Wiesinger Forschungsförderungspreis.pdf
- Teaching and Research: Waltraud Wiesinger Forschungsförderung – Lehre Forschung.pdf