Sigmund Freud University is located in Vienna, in the heart of Europe, and the cradle of psychotherapy. The SFU English doctoral programme guides its international students in the acquisition and development of scientific skills in the field of psychotherapy.
It aims at bridging clinical practice with theoretical and empirical investigation, in order to form a holistic understanding of how psychotherapy works. Following pluralistic stands, it is open to several methods of inquiry (theoretical, qualitative and quantitative) and of clinical practice (psychoanalysis, cognitive-behavioural therapy, humanistic approaches etc.). Studying at the Doctoral Programme of Sigmund Freud University has many advantages:
‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.’ (Margaret Mead)
Our objective is to enhance capacities and contribute to the personal success of our international students – and through them to a larger global community – by providing excellent learning opportunities and pioneering research in the field of psychotherapy science.
The English PhD programme is a six semester (three year) programme. Graduates are awarded a Doctor of Psychotherapy Science (Dr.scient.pth.) which, according to international Postgraduate Programme standards, is equivalent to a PhD degree. The Sigmund Freud University is accredited by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research.
The English PhD Programme fosters diversity. We enrol psychologists, psychiatrists and/or psychotherapists with the most disparate clinical orientation (e.g. psychoanalysis, cognitive-behavioural therapy, humanistic approaches etc.). Furthermore, our candidates come from several related disciplines, such as cultural anthropology, sociology, history, economics or business, as their presence and meaningful contribution broadens the perspectives of the community, and contributes to a more thorough understanding of psychotherapy.
We have a pluralistic stance toward both the methods of scientific investigation and clinical practice. We in fact believe that theoretical as well as quantitative, qualitative, or mixed approaches are legitimate and useful in order to investigate what psychotherapy is and how it works, depending on the perspective, background, interests and so on of the researcher. Moreover, we do believe that each single psychotherapeutic orientation (psychoanalytic, CBT, etc.) is legitimate and may be useful depending on the characteristics of therapists, patients, etc.
The English PhD Programme is proud to have a community of talented candidates who reflect the professional, cultural, religious diversity of the world we live in. During the 2012/2013 academic year, 20 nationalities were represented in the programme. About 7 % of the PhD students are Austrian, while the remaining 93% comes from all over the globe. Out of of the international students, the majority come from Southern and Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
In a world where women are still significantly underrepresented in the academia, we are honoured that during the 2012/2013 academic year 69.8% of our PhD students were female. Furthermore, by the end of the 2012/2013 academic year 75% of our successful graduates were women. Considering that our PhD Programme is the first in the world providing a doctoral education in psychotherapy science, we are very proud of our successful female graduates, who could break through the glass ceiling. Furthermore, we believe that their professional and academic achievement will contribute to the success of psychotherapy science.
Austria, a country in the heart of Europe, is dominated by the picturesque and the river Danube. Even though it is home of roughly 8.47 million people, which is less than the number of inhabitants in major world cities, it has much to offer. Vienna, its capital city boasts the world’s highest quality of living (according to the Economist Intelligence Unit and the Mercer Survey). It is one of Europe’s great cultural capitals, and for fans of architecture, music and art is not to be missed. Vienna has always been a buzzing international city and home to many ethnicities, religious denominations and people of different cultural and professional backgrounds. And let’s not forget about its role as an intellectual centre in the middle of Europe, which has contributed to the birth of psychoanalysis and thus to the development of the field of psychotherapy.